11/28/2008

Natural Inclination

Although Gabriel does not have most of his cerebral cortex of the frontal lobes and relies on the basic cerebellum and brain stem to live, he certainly shows particular likes and dislikes that, to me at least, comprise a very interesting little personality. Current medical science might dismiss these preferences as chance due to the severity of the malformation, but I believe Gabriel does indeed have music and books that he prefers over others. For instance, if I play Steve Vai's "Ballerina 12/24" off of his Passion and Warfare album, Gabriel's eyes become huge and he instantly quiets to listen. If I play the song immediately again, he will vocalize with Vai's guitar, as if trying to communicate. This phenomena only happens with "Ballerina 12/24," but Gabriel also shows a natural inclination for Miles Davis specifically. During several sessions of fussiness, I bounce on a big violet exercise ball and play all sorts of music. Recently, I put on Kind of Blue and as soon as Davis' began his first solo in "So What" Gabriel instantly tuned in, eyes wide and body relaxed. Every time Miles solos end, Gabriel tensed up slightly until the master of all coolness played again. The little dude also in the past has enjoyed Stevei Ray Vaughan's rendition of "Little Wing" and most of Robin Trower. As far as literature is concerned, Gabriel's attention only seems to be caught by certain patterns of sounds. Normal childrens' books that are simple and made for typical baby interaction do not interest him much. However, as soon as there is some carefully crafted diction and a story, Gabriel will actually pay attention and occasionally become mesmerized. He particularly seems fond of The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis, which he is partially named after. These little natural inclinations give me hope that through the confusion of malformation, Gabriel still is his little own self that enjoys the input he can experience.

2 comments:

  1. it cannot hurt and might help to give him an enriched environment including lots of what he responds to. the brain has a capacity to grow and adapt. let's not have false hope, but your instinct to explore all the ways he can respond is a good one. you are the expert on how Gabriel is responding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Renate & Matt,

    I'm so sorry to hear this news. But I'm glad to hear that Gabriel is defying the doctors and developing his own personality. It sounds like he has pretty good taste, too!

    Is there a particular organization or foundation that supports children with Hydranencephaly or promotes research for it? Or is there some other way I can help support Gabriel's cause?

    I'm going to be in town for the holidays and I'm eager to meet young Gabriel, so I'll be in touch.

    Keeping Gabriel in my thoughts and in my heart,
    Sam

    ReplyDelete